ADHD – Root Cause – Nutrition & What they don’t want you to know
ADHD and ADD for “Attention Deficit and Hyperactivity Disorder” is more and more frequent in our society. Childrens are diagnose with the condition when they don’t fit in the mold of society because they get easily distracted, lack concentration in class or are hyperactive. This condition does not only affects child but persons of any age. Doctors and specialists say that it’s an incurable condition and therefore recommend drugs like Ritalin or substitutes to calm children. This is in my opinion a “Big Farma” thing with a lot of money involved. It doesn’t mean that this condition is not real. It affects many people, I was included.
Specialists try to sell you the “magic pill”, which becomes a crutch for the rest of your life. What they don’t want you to know is that the actual root cause is nutrition, processed food, artificial flavours, food colorants, fast food, over-eating or eating disorder. It’s fascinating when you think about it and realize how ironic we behave. Parents giving candies, chips, soft drinks, milk, ice cream, sugar and fast foods to their children and don’t understand why their child is becoming hyperactive and can’t concentrate. They go to a doctor, take the drugs and everything seems “normal” again. It’s literally laughable. But of course we and the doctors will never admit that the root cause of the majority of conditions, disorders and sicknesses comes from what we eat. But this is the reality and I am a living proof of that.
When I was a teenager and around my 18’s is when I started really questioning myself. Looking back at my life, struggling so hard at school having brain shutdowns while in exams. I wasn’t able to process any informations and couldn’t concentrate. Sometimes having incredible results when I was passionate, and other times having complete failure depending on my level of concentration capability in the moment. Doing a million things in a day, but not being able to finalize a single task. Forgetting what you were doing just minutes ago. Having impulsive discouragements. These are common struggles people with this condition have to deal with daily.
I started doing my researches, I felt hopeless and wanted to find my true self and potentiality. I read treads, forums and articles. That’s how I understood I had this “disorder” called ADHD. Desperate, I almost fell in the trap of medications and was ready to spend incredible amount of money for consultations and medications. I called a specialized anxiety clinic and had an appointment. As I continued my researches, I found some articles relating alimentation and ADHD. Little by little I changed the way I ate and started exercising. I could feel a difference after a few weeks of efforts. I decided to call back and cancelled my appointment to continue my experiments.
This is probably how I became a passionate alimentation nerd :-p . Doing researches for months and years after, always trying to improve. I came to an understanding that living food is what’s making me alive again, or at least, avoiding animal products, wheat products, artificial favours and colorants. Then I went further and did a water fast followed by a green juice fast. This permitted my body to get rid of waste from years of bad eating habits. This is when the miracle happened. Once I cleaned myself and started raw foods, after 2 months I could feel that I found myself again. I realized the importance of clean eating.
The results of my researches :
Zinc, Iron, and Magnesium. Low levels of this mineral correlate with inattention. Zinc regulates the neurotransmitter dopamine and may make methylphenidate more effective by improving the brain’s response to dopamine. It’s good to supplement Zinc and Magnesium.
B Vitamins. Vitamin B-6 seems to increase the brain’s levels of dopamine, which improves alertness
Omega-3s are believed to be important in brain and nerve cell function.
Ginkgo and Ginseng. These herbs are cognitive activators, they act like stimulants.
Rhodiola Rosea. This herb can improve alertness, attention, and accuracy.
Foods That Cause Allergies. According to studies, gluten, wheat, and corn cause some children to lose focus and become more hyperactive.
Sleep. It’s also super important so have a healthy sleep cycle. Try not to sleep late and go to sleep on an empty stomach.
I will tell you from my own experience what you should do to accomplish great results in a month or so. Anyone can also do this to improve their concentration level and wellness. As a result you’ll not only heal from the disorder, you will feel amazing and open the door to your true potentiality.
- Water Fasting. This ain’t easy, I know, but this is the most effective thing to do to heal all kind of conditions. Cleaning your system. It’s like pressing the “reset” button and starting anew. You can fast at any age, children can fast, although I don’t recommend you force your child into this unless you know exactly what you’re doing. I would probably skip to step 2. Get yourself educated about water fasting. Read: “Heal Yourself 101“. How long? The longer the better but do not force it and listen how your body reacts. I say 3 days at least, aim for a week .
- Green Juices. After your fast, break it with green juices. Get yourself a juicer and juice dark leafy greens. Cucumbers, Celery, Kale, Lemons, ginger. Drink as much as you want throughout the day. This will help get rid of parasites, heal your gut and give you all the vitamins and minerals you are lacking. You can thrive on juices for months. It’s up to you how long you want to go for a juice only fast.
- Smoothies & fruits. The next step is to have your first meal with half greens / half fruits smoothies every day and easy digestible fruits during the day. Papaya with a dash of lemon juice is awesome (also eat some of the bitter seeds this is pure medicine!), watermelons and pineapples are great. Do this for at least a week.
- Change your alimentation. Don’t go back to your old diet. Avoid wheat products, animal products and artificial flavours and colorants. Try to have variety in your diet and go for lots of raw foods, leafy greens, fruits and veggies. Avoid Caffeine and drink herbal teas, Ginkgo Biloba and Ginseng are the best. You might want to integrate superfoods in your alimentation.
- Sleep Cycle & Time restricting eating. Sleep at a reasonable time and do not eat 3 to 4 hours before bed. When you wake up, drink water and eat only between 11am – 12pm and your last meal around 5pm. This gives the opportunity for your body to rest and have energy to heal and have mental clarity because no energy is being used to digest food.
- Exercise. You don’t have to exercise a lot, but at least a minimum of 20 minutes a day. Do what you like. Yoga, running, gym, calisthenics… I highly recommend Yoga because it helps to feel good; body and spirit. Cardio is also very important. Do your exercises on an empty stomach, in the morning. Meditation can also help if you are overthinking.
- Simplify your overall life. It’s also important to get rid of negativity and too much unnecessary responsibilities. Getting overwhelmed with too much tasks, overthink and focusing on the past and future. Stop procrastination, and do things right away so you don’t have to think about them anymore. Focus on the present moment, the NOW and you will be taking cared of. Getting rid of distractions is also very important. If you are watching TV, Youtube and video games in your dead times, you loose control over your brain, unless this is informative or useful contents with teachings, your mind gets used to be led by outside sources. Embrace loneliness and free-time, use this precious time to center yourself, create contents, meditate, think of a project or an objective you want to accomplish.
Expect detox symptoms during you journey. Don’t let it take over you. If you feel sick it’s totally normal. You might feel like a mess. Think of it that way: Just like when you do a spring clean in your house, it’s going to be a mess until you are done. Garbage bags and stuffs getting on the way. Water fast is the same thing. Your body is your house, and sometimes, it needs to be cleaned as well!
Hope that helped. Enjoy the journey.